On Sun, 2003-12-07 at 20:26, Jeff Smelser wrote:

> On Sunday 07 December 2003 01:56 pm, Eric Paynter wrote:
> > Nobody said they have to apply every change. You really only need to
> > apply the security patches. As for the rest, read the changelog and
> > see if there is any benefit to updating - often there isn't. I've
> > seen a lot of packages go from, for example, version-x-r3 to
> > version-x-r4 and the only change in the changelog is "marked stable
> > on platform y", when it's not even installed on platform y. So it's
> > just a recompile for nothing.
>
> Your right, you don't.. But lets says package A comes out with a security fix.
> After this box has been up for year, most of this stuff the server has, is
> probably gone. Hell, 6 months is a long time in gentoo world. He tries to
> update and it says he has to upgrade 50 others because gentoo has grown since
> then.. Why should he have to upgrade the 50 others?? Do a one shot or nodeps
> you say? Then your taking a chance the ebuild/build process will fail due to
> the fact the other packages are 'old'..
>
> Its not as that far off, since it happened to people running gentoo. The
> gentoo tree it highly depended on you keeping up with it..

I think that there is a high degree of probability that
portage-ng(-ng(-ng)) ;) will include some form of tree selection.  I
personally would like to see something like this.  Either pointing to a
completely different rsync server set, or having a extended set of
architecture definitions.  I prefer the latter, as in x86-server,
~x86-server, x86-desktop, x86-testing and the like.  Security updates
would of course need to penetrate all types here.  Maybe ~x86 and x86
simply isn't enough of a split between what is stable and what isn't
anymore, especially because enterprise server people are looking at
Gentoo.

Just my 2p...

--
Tom Wesley