On Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 02:28:45PM +0100, Christian Aust wrote:
> Redeeman ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) schrieb am 08.12.2003 14:12 Uhr:
>
> > HMM, i just tested this again, but with another track, and it seems it
> > depends extremely much on what track it is
>
> I've tried it on a 16 Minutes Audio file (176MB of 98 per cent funk [does
> anybody know the song? :-)]), the tar.bz2 was approx. 160MB. The
> corresponding MP3 file weights about 22MB. I guess, it really depends on the
> audio file. Best regards,

That would make sense I think.  Compression works by taking similar
binary data and combining it togther.  IE: a file of 50000 letter "a"
would compress much better than one of all different data (as I
understand it anyway :)

So if a song is repetative and has a lot of the same notes and elements
(assuming that that translates into similar binary data anyway) it will
compress via gzip or bzip much better.  By this thinking, Britney Spears
songs should compress down to about 2k :) *duck*

alan
--
Alan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> - http://arcterex.net