I don't have any specific fixes for the questions that have been asked in
this thread.  However, One of the things that I have discovered with fonts
is that the order of the font path makes a significant difference in the
results that you see.  One of the problems that I had was that I couldn't
get konsole to use the terminal font that I wanted even though the font was
installed.

In my case the font that I wanted was in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc.
This directory was in the font path, but was listed at the end of the path.
When I moved the directory to near the beginning of the path everything
started working the way that I wanted it to work.

In order to set the order of the font path, you need to do several things.
The first is to edit the /etc/X11/XF86Config file and edit the files section
and change the font path section to be in the order that you want the
directories searched.  Here is the section from my XF86Config

Section "Files"
        FontPath        "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi"
        FontPath        "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi"
        FontPath        "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/truetype"
        FontPath        "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc"
        FontPath        "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo"
        FontPath        "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"
        FontPath        "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID"
        RgbPath         "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
        ModulePath      "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules"
EndSection

The next is to edit /etc/fonts.conf and again place the directories in the
order that you want them searched.  This is something that you may have to
do again after an upgrade, since you are supposed to make changes in
/etc/fonts/local.conf  The problem with making the changes in the local.conf
file is that they are read after the fonts.conf file.  Since we are trying
to change the order of the path, editing local.conf does not work.

In the fonts.conf file, you want to edit the following section.  Again here
is the section from my file:

<!-- Font directory list configured on  -->

        <dir>/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi</dir>
        <dir>/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi</dir>
        <dir>/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/truetype</dir>
        <dir>/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc</dir>
       <dir>/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1</dir>
        <dir>/usr/share/fonts</dir>
        <dir>/usr/local/share/fonts</dir>
        <dir>~/.fonts</dir>

After editing both files, you then want to run fc-cache -f and restart the X
server.

I hope that this helps some of you with the problems that you are having
with fonts.

Regards,
Paul