Dennis Freise wrote:

Looks like you're missing some kernel-modules. Try settings these values in your kernel .config:

CONFIG_PPP_ASYNC=m

I've just activated the following option:

'PPP support for async serial ports'

I guess this is equal to CONFIG_PPP_ASYNC ?

That solved the puzzle. I didn't need to activate the
CONFIG_PPP_SYNC_TTY option for my dsl connection.

However, without your help I'm sure that I never had the idea
to activate that option. The kernel config help says:

  'Say Y (or M) here if you want to be able to use PPP over standard
  asynchronous serial ports, such as COM1 or COM2 on a PC.  If you use
  a modem (not a synchronous or ISDN modem) to contact your ISP, you
  need this option.'

I've not used a serial port on any of my boxes at least for the
last 5 years...

I've been surfing thru' PPP and PPPOE guides, manuals & FAQs around
the globe, and i couldn't find that hint anywhere, including
roaring penguine's rp-pppoe site. This is what i call a real
beginner trap.

For the next days, better don't hand a pump-gun to me.. :)

However, thank you very much for the solution, i don't know
what i'd do without this mailing list..