My alsamixer has the following :

master, master m, pcm, surround, center, LFE, Line, CD, Micm Mic boost, ,mic select,
video, phone, IEC958, IEC958 playback, pc speaker, aux, monu out, capture, mix,
Mix mono, external

Every place where I can set the bars I move them to the top.. i.e 100%.
I've looked into alsa-mail list there is only one question about "jack sensiing"
with no answer..
Under windows when I have this app running and I put jack into the inputs
they are activated... so there have to be some way to make similar thing under
linux ?! which i have to find ...