begin  quote
On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 09:06:00 +0200
Adrian Pirciu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> it's a BAD rule. It maybe was true when we had 16 Mb of ram, but if
> you have 512 m, a 256 M of swap would be more than you need. In fact,
> if you don't compile stuff, it's better to disable any swap
> files/partitions. It's faster.
>
> On Sunday 14 December 2003 21:59, Ron wrote:
> > On Sun, 2003-12-14 at 14:40, Simon Striker wrote:

> > > I have reserved about 50M for Swap ... Is this too little?
> >
> > A general rule of thumb would be a swap partition 2x larger than
> > your ram.  If you you have 512M ram then 1024M swap

Topposting damages your health.

No, its not a bad rule, its a Rule of Thumb that came from the kernel
and how it behave(d/s) during the 2.4 series. It was an aggressive RAM
consumptioner who would happily swap out just about all "somewhat idle"
things in order to cache files in RAM, and thereby make actual -work-
faster.

It would also gladly kill off some pretty large tasks just bcause they
were in the way of more memory consumption.

.23 changed this, for the better.

However,  My advice is :  make sure you have >512 Mb of RAM total.
preferrably >1Gb.

//Spider

--
begin  .signature
This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!