Paul Varner wrote:

On Wed, 2003-12-17 at 21:47, Joel Konkle-Parker wrote:

Thomas Smith wrote:

Trying to move old root to /initrd ... failed

I get the second of your errors as well... no idea why though.

That error is innocuous. The kernel is trying to copy the contents of the initial ram disk to /initrd. Since most people haven't created that directory, it fails. If you want the error to go away and be able to see what is in the initial ran disk, just do a mkdir /initrd

Cool, that's what I was looking for--I'll give it a shot.

I don't use lvm, so I can't comment on the first.  Have you tried using
google to search for "lvm_blk_ioctl: unknown cmd"

I;ve searched google as well as Sistina archives. All I've been able to find is that the message is of no concern; but no one has described /why/ it occurs.

I believe it's a problem with the LVM binaries or libraries I'm using in the initrd--but I don't know how to confirm it. I do know that it wasn't occuring initially. I spent a lot of time tweaking the kernel and the initrd to get everything working properly and to trimmed down. When I was done with everything else these errors cropped up.

The LVM error I mentioned occurs right after "vgchange -ay" (the last command in the initrd) so I don't believe it to be a kernel problem. The binaries and libraries came from ebuilds.