Tom Hosiawa wrote:

From what I've read I should setup:
dnscache - to serve as a cache for my internal network (192.168.1)
dnscachex - to serve as a cache for my domain name to the outside world tinydns - to serve as a name server for my internal network and the
outside world

Drop "dnscachex". You do not cache for the outside world what is provided by "tinydns".

Furthermore, you need two ip addresses (see alias_eth0 in /etc/conf.d/net). One is for tinydns, one for dnscache.

Configure dnscache to query tinydns for addresses in your domain and ip-range.

Change your tinydns data accordingly (mind: nameserver of your domain is tinydns, not dnscache).

On all machines, point to ip of dnscache in /etc/resolv.conf.

Hope that helps, off to holiday now!!!

Regards,
        Stephan

PS: I am running an unpatched version of djbdns because the patches applied in the ebuild seemed to mess up the software.