On Wednesday 24 December 2003 11.34, Paul Stear wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> A very merry xmas to all.
>
> I bought my wife a couple of Cd's that I would like <grin> and didn't
> realise that they are copy protected but list that they can be played on a
> windows machine.
> I convert all my Cd's into MP3 using grip and listen to them on my linux
> box. Has anybody any info, tips, progs that will allow me to rip the Cd's?
> ( After Christmas of course)
> I had vowed never to buy any copy protected Cd's for this very reason.  How
> do people who only have MP3 players get on with these corrupt Cd's.

you can try this:

""""
Copy-protection systems work by adding a corrupt data track to the outside
edge of a CD. This track is ignored by common audio CD players but prevents
copying, and sometimes playing, in the more sensitive PC CD drives.

By covering up a portion of the dividing line and outside track on the CD,
without touching the last audio track, it is possible to fool the CD player
into thinking that the extra corrupt data track does not exist. The marker
pen line can easily be wiped away afterwards with a soft cloth.

A similar result was also obtained by sticking bits of a Post-It note along
the edge of the CD, but this is not advised as the paper may come loose and
damage the drive.
"""
(quoted from vnunet.com)

--