i have never had any problems ripping those cd's, but i found a way to
do it on a friends machine ;D

dd if=/dev/cdrom of=musiccd.iso

then you have the image of the cd, and then create entry in fstab, and
use the cdrom plugin for xmms and point to the iso mount point, and then
use the xmms wavout plugin to write wav files, and then use lame or
oggenc, and you are set ;D

--
Regards, Redeeman