Hi!

On Wed, Dec 24, 2003 at 05:59:01PM +0000, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 17:11:40 +0200 Alex Efros <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> | 1. Why there is so many packages in 'system' list? Why not make
> | 'system'
> |    list much smaller (like in LinuxFromScratch)? Is there exists
> |    documentation which describe reason to include all these packages
> |    in'system' list?
>
> Well, you could make your own profile (/usr/portage/profiles/) with
> fewer things in it. Just don't blame us when it goes wrong :)

:-)) I understand this.

Gentoo try to allow people to configure it as much as possible, this is
Gentoo's philosophy! :-) I just try to point to another thing which may
be configurable - PAM support - and which now can't be configured in
legal/supported way because it's in 'system' list.

Also I think what there is probably too much 'system' packages
(comparing to LinuxFromScratch), and maybe it will be nice to exclude
some packages from 'system' list to make Gentoo much more configurable.

Some other software which may be removed from 'system' is:
1) gawk - there is a lot of different 'awk' realizations which user may
   want instead of gawk (I prefer 'mawk')
2) sysklogd - for example, I prefer 'multilog t /var/log/kernel </proc/kmsg'
   instead of 'klogd', and 'read_syslog' instead of 'syslogd'.
3) xfree - I don't know why xfree is in 'system' - I think this is
   bad idea to have 'xfree' always installed, even on servers.
4) dhcpd - it's small, but probably not 'system' because it isn't used
   at all in many networks
5) debianutils
6) fbset
7) bc
8) ... and some other utilities, which may or may not be useful, but
   which are not required, so they shouldn't be in 'system' - user can
   install 'fbset' or 'bc' or other such utils later at any time...

--
                        WBR, Alex.