begin  quote
On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 20:26:13 +0200
Alex Efros <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Some other software which may be removed from 'system' is:
> 1) gawk - there is a lot of different 'awk' realizations which user
> may want instead of gawk (I prefer 'mawk')
This may not be direct in system, check virtuals/  support ( a list of
packages that provide the same functionality )

> 2) sysklogd - for example, I prefer 'multilog t /var/log/kernel
> </proc/kmsg'    instead of 'klogd', and 'read_syslog' instead of
> 'syslogd'.

its not. virtual/logger is.  if you don't supply a logger yourself, it
will use sysklogd because its "default"

> 3) xfree - I don't know why xfree is in 'system' - I think this is
>    bad idea to have 'xfree' always installed, even on servers.
USE flag +X +gtk +qt +kde +tcltk  may any and all of those bring in
xfree as a dependency. I'd suggest reading some more on USE flags too
;).

> 4) dhcpd - it's small, but probably not 'system' because it isn't used
>    at all in many networks

its a hard package cause there were too many users who forgot  to
install it and ended up with nonworking machines.  :)

> 5) debianutils
Needed for "readlink" , and only that afaik.

> 6) fbset
Debateable, I agree.

> 7) bc
Common unix standard tool, used by a lot of buildscripts.

> 8) ... and some other utilities, which may or may not be useful, but
>    which are not required, so they shouldn't be in 'system' - user can
>    install 'fbset' or 'bc' or other such utils later at any time...

System provides a set of decent defaults for a user, making it simple to
redo.
if you wish to roll your own profile its dead simple actually, just
check the /etc/make.profile, move it from a link to a directory and then
do the changes.. (or simply relink it to another place ;)

Hth,
   //Spider

--
begin  .signature
This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!