Well, excuse me!  I'm sorry I tried to help with what knowledge I had.
First, your original message just wanted to merge telnet - that got answered.
 I also gave you the same (good) advice I've gotten and seen given many times
- in fact I'm surprised someone else didn't give it to you too as has been
done before on this list.  It's not being or sounding smart - it is simple
good advice.  Telnet is insecure - period.  Ssh was developed to be a secure
alternative.  Not knowing your level of competence I passed on what has been
good advice to me and many others who have appreciated it.

Finally, I don't have to know about mailservers.  I know enough to know that
telnet and ssh can be used to see if a service is active.  That appeared to
be what you wanted.

As I said, you can take the advice or leave it.  If telnet will work for you
and you can live with it's insecurities then use it.