On Fri January 02 2004 7:37 am, Mac Intyre, Steven wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is there possible a GUI install interface for Gentoo - similar to
> Mandrake.
>
> I have tried to install as per directions ... but got lost.

I have to agree with Volker on this one for the most part. Gentoo is very
advanced.

But I wanted to add I would recommend printing out the install docs and having
them in front of you. Yes you can use another system to have it up but it's
extremely easy to miss something.

If you followed the directions EXACTLY you would have a working gentoo system.
Since you don't I'd say you missed something.

One thing I've noticed now and again is I'll miss something during a new
install because I forgot and glanced right over it because it was at the top
of one of the printed pages or on the next page.

An example is the emerge sync command. It's at the top of the next page from
where it talked about it and just above the bold heading "Setting Gentoo
Optimizations (make.conf)" so It's easy for me to miss sometimes. You printer
may print it in a different spot but this is just an example.

Another thing to watch for is kernel options that are required!!

Start from stage2 or 3 until you get it down and have a working system. It'll
save time. It takes my 2.4 ghz 1 gig RAM and SATA drive system about 24 hours
to install gentoo from stage 1. Thats beginning to KDE desktop with all the
apps installed.

I've installed gentoo dozens of times but I still get the docs down and next
to me to remind me here and there. Mistakes in the gentoo installation
process can be costly in time. Not to mention I have notes here and there and
highlighting, etc...

Robert