On Sat, 2004-01-03 at 15:29, Gerhard W.Gruber wrote:
> On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 15:09:57 +0000, Tom Wesley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> >I use partimage (in portage) to create a single file for each partition,
> >then
> >
> > $ growisofs -R -J -Z root.000 /dev/sr1
> >
> >partimage can also split the image at a certain size, for multiple dvd's
> >and there is a copy of it on knoppix for the restore.
>
> Can this DVD then be mounted as normal and individual files copied over? Also
> I wonder where I have to store that file, or does it do this directly from the
> partition? Your description sounds as if I would have to create a file first
> which is burned to DVD then. This is not an option because I don' t have
> enough diskspace to do this and I don' t want to have to keep a disk empty
> just for the purpose of creating every now and then a backup.

Fair enough, this probably doesn't do what you want.  I use to to backup
my root partition, creating it temporarily on my home partition.  You
could probably get around this using packet-writing on the dvd, although
I've never tried to get that to work.

As for the individual files, it seems it's a planned feature to make
partimage output files mountable, but there currently is no way.

--
Tom Wesley