Hi All,

I'm trying to understand the underlying specifics of installing Gentoo
versus changing it on the fly.  Since optimization and tailoring is the goal
of the philosophy behind the install of Gentoo, would the same thing be
accomplished on a running system by setting new USE flags and doing:

emerge system (not update) followed by emerge world (again not update)

as though you were at stage 2 of a fresh install?? Doesn't this just
recompile everything, or am I missing something critical?  I'm asking,
because I'd like to experiment with several variants of optimization but
would rather avoid all the other system setup things like timezones and
users and fstab and the lot.  Advice appreciated.

Cheers,
Michael Balamuth
[EMAIL PROTECTED]