* Martin Gramatke (2004-01-04 11:40 +0100)
> Thorsten Kampe wrote:
>> I'm looking for a solution to "hook" somekind of a boot menu into the
>> boot process. Something like
>
> One more runlevels may be what you need. Default runlevel
> is /etc/runlevels/default. Most probably you have a link to /etc/init.d/xdm
> in it, which starts KDE.

kdm :-)

> Create another subdir, e.g. noxdm beside default.
> Fill it with 'rc-update add INITDSCRIPT noxdm' with the same links as in
> default, except xdm.
> Now modify your /boot/grub/grub.conf or do analog with lilo. Add these three
> lines to its end:
> title=Gentoo Linux - noxdm
> root (hd0,1)
> kernel (hd0,1)/bzImage-2.6.0 root=/dev/hda6 softlevel=noxdm
>
> Note the parameter 'softlevel=noxdm'. This selects the bootscrips
> in /etc/runlevels/noxdm to be executed instead the scripts
> in /etc/runlevels/default. By the way, /etc/runlevels/boot are executed
> anyway before the 'noxdm' or 'default' scripts, you may want to move some
> common, very basic scripts here.

Aah, thanks. I haven't tried it yet but this is almost exactly what I
want. I will remove "/etc/init.d/xdm" from the default runlevel and
will create another runlevel "xdm" with the appropriate link to
"/etc/init.d/xdm".

Just one thing is ugly. Do I really have to copy all the linke from
the "boot" and "default" runlevel to the new "xdm"?! This would mean
that everytime I "add" or "del" from "boot" or "default" I would have
to update "xdm", too.

The "default" runlevel already includes the "boot" runlevel. Is there
a way to say something like
"softlevel=noxdm, include runlevel boot default"?

Thanks again,
Thorsten