On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 02:13:19PM -0500, Al Raq wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> May be this is a stupid question but I had to ask.
> I want to "keep" my gentoo installed in my machine for 3 years or more without
> reinstalling it from scratch but just keeping updated. Is it possible ???
>
> How easy to update gentoo to the next coming realeases with the 2.6
> kernel. ,gcc, kde, and other major softwares ??
>
> In which case(s) am I forced to reinstall gentoo from scratch ???
> {Suppose that my Hardware is in great condition.}

The only situation that I've seen was in were the gcc/libc updates in
the 1.1->1.2 and 1.2->1.3/1.4 era of gentoo.  Basically because of the
binary incompatibility of gcc 3.n to 3.n+1 (3.1 to 3.2 maybe, don't
remember exactly) it was a PITA to do an upgrade, because you had to
update your entire system from the ground up, and if something went
wrong you were hooped, so most (myself included) seemed to think that a
re-install with the newer and more forwards compatible version of gentoo
(and gcc) was the way to go.  There's nothing to say that this won't
happen again.

As another poster has said the devs do their best, and regular updates
are going to do you fine in the foreseeable future!

alan

--
Alan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> - http://arcterex.net