No, just do emerge sync on a routine basis.  Then

emerge -uD system -p

and if you like what it will upgrade then let it go.

Then

emerge -uD world -p

and do the same.  If you don't like what it will upgrade then upgrade the packages
listed individually.  If there are updates to be done by etc-update DO NOT run
etc-update and let it do every update.  Check the updates first to make sure it won't
mess up some files.