http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=123981

William Hubbs wrote:
I am getting the following when I try to do an emerge sync.

Starting retry 3 of 3
checking server timestamp ...

rsync: getaddrinfo: rsync.gentoo.org 873: Name or service not known
rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at clientserver.c(88)

!!! Rsync has not successfully finished. It is recommended that you keep
!!! trying or that you use the 'emerge-webrsync' option if you are unable
!!! to use rsync due to firewall or other restrictions. This should be a
!!! temporary problem unless complications exist with your network
!!! (and possibly your system's filesystem) configuration.

Could someone let me know What is going on?

William