On Thursday 15 January 2004 23.08, Tom Wesley wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After - cough - some filesystem problems (reiserfs for the curious) I'm
> left with a lost+found directory of 9GB, about 5000 files.  Since I do
> not have the patience of a Saint, and sadly do not employ the services
> of a small team of highly skilled, cheap and tidy imps to do this
> manually I am looking for somehow to script this into something more
> manageable.
> Does anyone have anything that will sort a large directory, preferably
> recursively and put in into any sort of order?  Ideally I'd like to use
> the output of "file" to move filetypes together, but can't get the
> syntax correct...
>
> Any ideas, pokes, acts of random abuse welcome :-)

just a random idea.

cd /away/from/lost+found

for filename in $(find /path/to/lost+found -type f); do
  filetype=$(file"$filename"|awk -F: '{print $2}')
  mkdir "$filetype" 2>/dev/null
  mv "$filename" "$filetype"
  echo "moving $filename $filetype"
done

this should recursively move any file from lost+found to a dir whose name
match the file's type...
maybe you should first try it on some test files... I'm not responsible if
your hdd melts down.

hth, good luck

--
mathieu