Norbert Kamenicky wrote:
Tom Wesley wrote:

Hi,

After - cough - some filesystem problems (reiserfs for the curious) I'm
left with a lost+found directory of 9GB, about 5000 files.  Since I do
not have the patience of a Saint, and sadly do not employ the services
of a small team of highly skilled, cheap and tidy imps to do this
manually I am looking for somehow to script this into something more
manageable.
Does anyone have anything that will sort a large directory, preferably
recursively and put in into any sort of order?  Ideally I'd like to use
the output of "file" to move filetypes together, but can't get the
syntax correct...

Any ideas, pokes, acts of random abuse welcome :-)

I made such a tool 4u, but not test it ... put the file into your home dir and try :-)

usage: ~/FileSort.sh /lost+found

it should work recursively & make a new dir for every
type of found files with the same name and put the files in

noro

since I didn't test it, error occured, this one is better:

#!/bin/bash

cd $1

for i in *
do
        [ -d $i ] && eval $HOME/FileSort.sh $i && continue

        TYPE=`file -b $i`
        mkdir -p ".$TYPE"
        mv $i ".$TYPE"
done