Jason Stubbs wrote:

On Sunday 18 January 2004 12:46, Joseph A. Nagy, Jr. wrote:

I have exim installed (and I have problems with that, which I'll discuss
later):

cbash-2.05b$ cd /var/spool/mail
bash-2.05b$ ls -a
..  ..  .keep
bash-2.05b$

bash-2.05b$ cd /var/mail
bash-2.05b$ ls -a
..  ..  .keep
bash-2.05b$

/var/mail should be a symlink to /var/spool/mail.

As you can see, I have NO system email boxes even though I have four
accounts (three users and root) on the box, exim installed and running
(I can send mail from my system accounts w/o any problem).

There should be no mailboxes there until a message is received on an account.

I've sent out test emails which have been replied to (as well as sending myself test messages) and root should be getting system related email (from vcron or what not)

The problem I have with exim comes when I make changes to exim.conf
(cp'd from exim.conf.dist and edited as needed) and then try and run
/etc/init.d/exim restart

joseph-a-nagy-jr root # /etc/init.d/exim restart
 * Stopping exim...
                                                                     [ !!
]

joseph-a-nagy-jr root #

I then have to zap it and start it back up. What's going on here?

This means that the daemon started and died. When you try to restart or stop the daemon, the operation fails (because it is not running). Check any log messages to find out why.

I've checked the logs and they don't make sense. The last entry (which is no longer repeated but exim still dies on startup) refered to a line that was commented out. Even so I removed the entry for that line, kept an eye on the clock and waited two minutes, started exim, checked the logs, no error, then tried to restart with the same error as above but nothing recorded in the log file (I'm checking /var/log/exim/exim_main.log and exim_panic.log) as to why it's still dieing.

--
Joseph A. Nagy, Jr.
Student at Motlow State Community College