Bear in mind that you cant (or shouldnt) use dual-athlon-XP's in a SMP board. You should use AMD's MP chips. Unfortunately these don't go as fast as the XP chips (as in, XP's go up to 3000 and MP's go upto 2400 or something), and the board support is also a limiting factor.

I built 5 dual-AMD-MP systems a while ago. I used dual MP2200+'s in each one, that was the highest the motherboard (Tyan Tiger) would support (and I don't think AMD had any faster ones available either). I installed a stage1 gentoo on one as a "hardware test" (or something like that) and I was amazed at how fast it compiled.

Daniel

Brendan Sullivan wrote:
I'd go multi-CPU. The Athlon 64 is a good processor, but with the
multitude of things you have going on all at once, I would think being
able to handle multiple processes at once would be more what you need.
the 64 can still only handle one process at a time.

I have a 2800 w/ 512Mb of ddr400, and it's a really quick machine...a
dual proc 2600 or 2800 would probably be ridiculously fast if set up
correctly.

Brendan