Hi,
and what kernel version are you running?

Because for 2.6 kernels, all you have to do is load the module ide-scsi at startup and
give lilo (grub in your case) the hdx=ide-scsi option, but for 2.4 kernels there is a
lot of /etc/modules editing to do...

You metnioned that /dev/cdrom devices disappear and instead something like this
appears? : /dev/scsi/host0/target0/lun0/generic ?

If that's the case, than that's good and you should have a device called /dev/sr0. If
you do, than that's your scsi-smulated cdrom...