Apologies if I've missed the point of this discussion or if I'm making a
point somebody already made, I've just joined the list (hi folks!).

> Because for 2.6 kernels, all you have to do is load the module
> ide-scsi at startup and give lilo (grub in your case) the hdx=ide-scsi
> option, but for 2.4 kernels there is a lot of /etc/modules editing to do...

With the 2.6 series of kernels, ide-scsi emulation isn't needed for cd
writing as the ATAPI interface can be used instead (cdrecord dev=ATAPI
-scanbus).

--
http://www.mattsscripts.co.uk/
  - A great source for free CGI and stuff