Yeah, I agree with the 2.6 kernels being more "laptop friendly" - I'm running a HP
Omnibook 7100 with 2.6.1 and it does charms with the old machinery...

Anyway, as was mentioned before - the solution really is to enable APM in the kernel
config. - I had EXACTLY this same problem some time ago - and after some research i
found out that APM was the definite answer. If you only want your computer to
automatically power down, you don't need ACPI - just APM.
Ppersonally I don't recommend using ACPI on notebooks - with it enabled i got a kernel
panic every time the notebook "woke up" from sleep. And had to to do a hard reset :-(