On Tuesday 27 January 2004 09:19, LoneStar wrote:
> I use kdm and start it as the last thing by adding these lines to the
> /etc/conf.d/local.start file ...
>
> echo Starting the Window manager ...
> /usr/kde/3.1/bin/kdm
>
> So, as you said, everything starts without the overhead of X.

How exactly does it start without X overhead? When you start kdm, you also
start X. Kdm runs within X. If you look at the xdm init script you'll notice
that if you set the DISPLAYMANAGER variable to kdm (in /etc/rc.conf), the
init script does the exact same thing as your /etc/init.d/local.start file.
  Or have I completely misunderstood what you meant?

--
Jani-Matti Hätinen