LoneStar wrote:
> I use kdm and start it as the last thing by adding these lines to the
> /etc/conf.d/locat.start file ...

[snip]

> So, as you said, everything starts without the overhead of X.

This is absolutely ridiculous.

Either you have no idea how Linux and specifically Gentoo works, or, you are a
complete moron. Sorry about the last, but telling people to add kdm to
local.start doesn't:

        a) keep X from starting. kdm USES X.

        b) Even if kdm didn't use X, adding kdm to local.start is no solution.

You should make a new runlevel.

        # mkdir /etc/runlevels/i_hate_x
        # cp /etc/runlevels/default/* /etc/runlevels/i_hate_x
        # rc-update del xdm default

Now, when you start your box, X (gdm, kdm, xdm) won't start. If you want to
switch runlevels do:

        # rc i_hate_x

For more info, please got to http://www.gentoo.org/ and read Gentoo's
documentation about runlevels and init scripts.

HTH,
Norberto

--
Linux 2.6.1-mm5 Pentium III (Coppermine) GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
 08:47:11 up 1 day,  6:19,  1 user,  load average: 0.25, 0.23, 0.14