Hello!

On Saturday 24 January 2004 16:57, Aaron Walker wrote:
> Came home at 3am this morning to find my main desktop machine locked up
> solid...  Rebooted and all of a sudden heard the dreaded clicking of the
> hard drive (a 6month old WDC 80GB).   I was wanting to reinstall Gentoo
> on my main desktop anyways, but this wasn't quite what I had in mind...
>
> Anyways, I threw a spare hard drive in (identical to the one that died),
> and am in the process of reinstalling Gentoo (on the 3rd different
> machine this week  )
>
> Once I get everything back up and running, I want to start making it a
> habit to back things up on a regular basis.  I was wondering what others
> on this list did for their backups.
>
> I was considering the following:
> -  a seperate machine to handle all backup's of the various machines on
> my home LAN
> -  buy another 80G and a RAID card and run it in RAID 1
>
> any recommendations?

Sure. I'd recommend something that is based on rsync. "duplicity" (ebuild) is
the easiest way to backup a system over the network. Its just a one-liner
that can be run via cron.

One of the most mature backup solutions for small to medium sized
heterogeneous networks is BackupPC. Its pretty easy to set up and uses rsync
and pooling to reduce network and storage resources.

  http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/

Andi