I jst installed k3b, and after running into the problems of it not
recognizing the devices, I ran "<Whatever the variable is that I'm
momentarily blanking on>="~x86" emerge -Uv k3b".

I moved the files in /etc that needed to be moved, and then did a reboot
since the system seemed to be hanging...

Now my computer "can't locate module: /dev/BOOT" and /dev/ROOT.  It
reccomends I run "e2fsck -b 8193 <device>".

Boot is on /dev/hda1 and /root is on /dev/hdb1.  (Although I notice that
the system *does* find all of the files on /dev/hdb1...  I verified this
by "cd /" and "ls".)  I run the command, and when I boot up I gte a
generic X11 login screen -- not the Gnome login manager (which is what's
it's set for).

So the system is hosed, and I don't know why.

Does anyone have any reccomendation on how to fix it, or do I now need to
rebuild the system from scratch?

(Which may not be an entirely bad thing, given my misconfig of the default
character set name in xf86config.  (I think that's the file name, but I'm
working off of memory, and didn't have it memorized.)  The file I'd need
to edit to change it back is no longer a text file....)

So, does anyone have any reccomendations for me at this point?

Is there a way for me to do a low-level check of my hard drives to make
sure that they're not the problem?  It's taken almost 2 weeks for me to
get to this point, and I was just about done...  I'd hate to have to
repeat the process only to find myself in the same situation again due to
faulty hardware.

Thanks in advance,

Krikket