On Tue, 27 Jan 2004, Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-01-27 at 19:38, Krikket wrote:
>
> > Now my computer "can't locate module: /dev/BOOT" and /dev/ROOT.  It
> > reccomends I run "e2fsck -b 8193 <device>".
>
>    As a bit of after the fact advice, be very careful about etc-update
> and the files it puts in place. We've ll been burned by this fstab one.
> But beyond that, watch the names carefully and make sure it's not
> overwriting the ones you've edited.

Oy.  Now they tell me!  *Chuckle*

Yeah, that was it.  Apparently I overwrote a bunch of files that I had
edited.  I was foolish enough to think that the new files would be based
on the versions sitting on the hard-drive.

As things currently stand I've decided to burn back to ground zero and
start again.  It's drastic, but there are several reasons for this:

1>  I changes 30+ files in /etc with this latest update.  I have no clue
which ones I changed, and don't want to keep having nasty surprises for a
while...  (No network, no su, etc.)

2>  I compiled the kernel with the wrong gcc flags.  This might have been
the source of some of my problems.  But now I've learned from that too,
and what the flags *should* be.

So I'm starting over.  All that it costs me is a bit of time, and I have
another home computer to play with in the meantime.  So it's not as bad as
it could have been...

Krikket