On Wed, Jan 28, 2004 at 09:52:04PM -0500, John S J Anderson wrote:
> Anupam Kapoor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Louis C. Candell) writes:

> >> emacs -nw -f gnus
> >
> > but that's not the same as mail now is it ?
>
>   I'm not sure what you mean. The requirement was "CLI mail client
>   that does GPG and MailDir". "emacs -nw -f gnus" fits all those
>   requirements. So does "xemacs -nw -f gnus".

There is a difference between a command-line application, like
cat, awk, and grep, and an application that runs in a terminal
window.  Command-line applications lend themselves to automation
and scripting, but terminal-based applications do not.  However,
it is not uncommon for a terminal-based application to support
command-line invocation.

Mutt is a good example.  It is a terminal-based application,
which means that you can use it when you are connected remotely
with only a text-based interface (i.e., a terminal).  But to use
it in a shell script, you use its command-line capabilities.  I
have a Z-shell function in my .zshrc that sends a short message
and any attachments I provide as arguments:

    towork () {
        msg=$1 ; shift
        attachments=""
        for a in $@ ; do
            attachments=($attachments '-a' "$a")
        done
        echo -e "$msg\n" | mutt -s "$msg" $attachments \
                                -e 'set record = ""' \
                                -e 'set save_name = no' \
                                -e 'set force_name = no' \
                                work
    }

As you can see, it's quite capable as a command-line utility.
The -e arguments tailor mutt's behavior for this invocation, and
work is an alias in my .muttrc file for my work e-mail address.

While emacs can certainly be used as a terminal application, I'm
not so sure if it is a capable command-line mail client, and I
know that the example command lines mentioned by others were
designed to use it as a terminal application.

    - richard

--
Richard Kilgore
[EMAIL PROTECTED]