I am trying to install Gentoo from stage 1 on a system with a Quantum XP 34300 SCSI hard disk. When I boot from the live CD using the gentoo doscsi or smp doscsi command, I get the following output

kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k scsi_hostadapter, errno = 2
kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k scsi_hostadapter, errno = 2
kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k scsi_hostadapter, errno = 2
:
:
:
:
some messages including   stuff about IPv6 and my mouse etc
:
:
:
:

Ext2-fs warning: checktime reached, running e2fsck recommended
beginning storage detection
Detected aic7xxx hardware
Scanning for aic7xxx_old...

and stays stuck there for a few hours.

Is there something else I need to do to install it on a SCSI disk? This is my first time installing Gentoo, but I have worked with other GNU/Linux systems.

Thanks,

Varun