Neil Rachynski wrote:
Greetings,

I have just finished a GRP installation on a box I was intending to use as a router/firewall for my home computers. However, once I reboot the system after the installation is done and emerge iptables (1.2.8-r1), I can not add, list, or do anything to iptables itself.

The error I receive is :

iptables v1.2.8: can't intitialize iptables table 'filter': Tables does not exist (do you need to insmod?)
Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.

When I went to view the file 'rules-save' in /var/lib/iptables, the file was completely blank (explaining why it can't find the filter table). At that point, I copied rules-save file from another working PC to this one. However, it would then give me an error when restoring the ruleset (always the line containing '*filter'). The working one is running iptables-1.2.9 so I'm not sure if that'll make a difference with the rules-save file.

I was hoping to be able to get iptables up and running before connecting to the internet and doing an 'emerge sync' and 'emerge -u world'. I have been through the gentoo user forums but the only suggestions I could find there were to either re-emerge my kernel and/or iptables. I've done so several times and have built iptables support right into the kernel as well as as modules.

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

Neil Rachynski

What is "lsmod |grep ipt" saying ?

U must see minimum ip_tables module, but I have about 15.
Look to /lib/modules/...../netfilter/*  for all available
modules.

noro