On Feb 2, 2004, at 2:50 pm, Neil Rachynski wrote:

iptables v1.2.8: can't intitialize iptables table 'filter': Tables does not exist (do you need to insmod?)
Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.

When I went to view the file 'rules-save' in /var/lib/iptables, the file was completely blank (explaining why it can't find the filter table). At that point, I copied rules-save file from another working PC to this one. However, it would then give me an error when restoring the ruleset (always the line containing '*filter'). The working one is running iptables-1.2.9 so I'm not sure if that'll make a difference with the rules-save file.

Dumb & possibly irrelevant question: is the machine you got /var/lib/iptables/rules-save (??) also a Gentoo box..?

Stroller.