Dennis Freise wrote:

On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 17:49:29 +0000
Dave <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

As belt and braces I upped my CPU fan speed and started compiling. 1 Hour later - compiler crash "recursive error". I looked at ....
http://www.freehackers.org/gentoo/gccflags/flag_gcc3.html
And selected ...

Pentium III (Intel)

CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=pentium3 -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
CXXFLAGS="-march=pentium3 -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"

Started compiling, three hours later - compiler crash !

I changed -o3 to -o2. Its been running for 24Hrs without a glitch.

Although this seems to have solved the problem I'm unsure why the compiler could not handle -o3. I have PIII 700Mhz (coppermine) 256MB, 40GB Partition with DMA enabled.

Any comments ?

I've got gentoo on an P3 933Mhz/512MB/[EMAIL PROTECTED] completly compiled with the flags you got from freehackers with -O3 - the compiler never crashed for me. I'm @~x86. Maybe you should run some memtest86's...

OK tracked dowm memtest86 - am going to run it overnight

Dave