In my case I have done an install from stage1, with a reiserfs root partition, and I have compiled the kernel using genkernel, instead of manually compiling the kernel. I have changed some options in the kernel using genkernel --menuconfig, but nothing related to the file system options, just the processor type.

   Regards
   Jose