Hi,

Ralph Slooten wrote:
1) Problem: I have no terminal bell (system beep) which on the one hand
is annoying, yet sometimes handy (ifplugd and my network as an example).
Is this a kernel option that you know of, or ...? Any ideas here?
You might want to read through this: http://www.codemonkey.org.uk/post-halloween-2.5.txt
From that page:
- Users wanting support for the PC speaker need to enable CONFIG_INPUT_PCSPKR,
or you won't get a single beep.

2) Question: Since a while back I see that OSS in the kernel is
depreciated, and ALSA is recommended, but for the life of me I cannot
see what the advantage is of ALSA. AFAIK everything I use uses the OSS
system (OSS-emulation in ALSA), so why not just use OSS instead of
having to emulate it all?

For a start, alsa is being actively developed, OSS is not.

For many cards (including mine), ALSA works better - volumes go louder, it sounds better, surround sound is more customisable, etc.
Other advantages include that ALSA supports SMP (OSS does not), ALSA has a good plugin system (allows for things like dmix),

I have not looked for myself, but I believe ALSA also incorporates a good API for applications that support it - e.g. xmms with the alsa-xmms plugin. For applications that do not support the API, you can just rely on the OSS emulation.

Daniel