On Saturday 07 February 2004 04:52 pm, Collins Richey wrote:
> On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 16:00:56 -0500
>
> Ernie Schroder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Don't really know. If you can find what you want, try vnc (or
> > > better tightvnc). Much better than PCAnywhere, quick and easy
> > > to install, and, if run over ssh, much more secure.
> >
> > I'll cast my vote for tightvnc I run my 2nd Gentoo box and a
> > headless win98 box with it so I can use my parametric CAD
> > program.
>
> Ernie, how about a brief Tightvnc for Dummies course.  Tell us how
> you made your setup work.

Wow, it's been a while but, IIRC, the toughest part was getting the
vncserver configured. /usr/bin/vncserver is a perl script that needs
some work. You also have to run vncpasswd. Good documentation can be
found at:

http://www.tightvnc.com/docs.html

Once you have the server script set up, do:

$ vncserver

that should return something like:

$ vncserver

New 'X' desktop is MRK.schroder.xxx:1

Starting applications specified in /home/ernie/.vnc/xstartup
Log file is /home/ernie/.vnc/MRK.schroder.xxx:1.log

$ cat .vnc/xstartup
#!/bin/sh

xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
xsetroot -solid grey
xterm -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
startkde &

and the other Gen2 box:

$ cat .vnc/xstartup
#!/bin/sh

xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
xsetroot -solid grey
xterm -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
wmaker &

If the server starts, from the client do:

$ vncviewer

A box will pop up and type in the IP or name of the server  (in my
case 192.168.1.3:1 a second box pops up asking for a password. Enter
that and you're in.
        If you can't get the server configured, email off list and I'll send
my /usr/bin/vncserver. I'm going to be out at a Renaissance festival
all day so I'll check back this evening

--
Regards, Ernie
100% Microsoft and Intel free