Hi blade,

Looks like you let it over-write your /etc/fstab
You will need to set it up again (be careful with etc-update)

Tks for your response.

The problme is I could not start Gentoo. Kindly advise how to run 'etc-update'

TIA

B.R.
Stephen

Stephen Liu wrote:

Hi all folks,

I encountered problem in rebooting Gentoo 1.4 after running

# emerge -u world

IIRC the last item updated is "betagenkernel...."

During rebooting following warning popup;

Checking all filesystems...
fsck.ext2: No such file or directory while tryinng to open /dev/BOOT
/dev/BOOT:
The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2 filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:
e2fsck - b 8193 <device>

* Fsck could not correct all errors, manual repair need

Give root password for maintaince
(or type Control-D for normal startup):

No root password is required to enter. If typing in root password I can't enter, following warning popup;
Login incorrect

It is rather strange

Tried;
# fsck /dev/hda
# fsck /dev/hda1
# fsck /dev/hda3
etc.

fsck.ext2: No such file or directory while tryinng to open /dev/hda
...... /dev/hda1
....../dev/hda3
etc.

(remark: harddrive is connected to a ATA controller card)
IIRC Gentoo is running on 'reiser fs' . How to check it.

Furthermore 'reboot' (soft) has no effect. I have to press hard-reboot (reset button)

Kindly advise how to fix the problem.

TIA

Stephen Liu