On Mon, Feb 09, 2004 at 07:02:55AM -0800, Michael Peppler wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-02-08 at 19:35, Andrey Kartashov wrote:
> > On Sun, Feb 08, 2004 at 05:11:32PM -0800, Michael Peppler wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I've just installed Gentoo on a new system, and I have some strangeness
> > > in the ext3 mount for my root filesystem:
> > >
> > > [EMAIL PROTECTED] mail # mount
> > > /dev/hda3 on / type ext3 (rw,noatime)
> > > none on /tmp/.initrd/dev type devfs (rw)
> > > /dev/hda3 on / type ext2 (rw,noatime)
> >
> > I'd double check /etc/fstab. Is it possible that you have listed hda3 there
> > more than once?
>
> Yep - /dev/hda3 is only listed once.

That's very odd, in this case I wonder if initrd setup got screwed somehow.
It also seems rather weird that you have /tmp/.initrd/dev mounted after machine
finished booting up.
The easiest thing to try probably is to boot without initrd and see if it
works.  It's simple, just compile support for your root filesystem (and SCSI if
you need it) into kernel , get rid of 'initrd' parameter in
/boot/grub/grub.conf and see if it can boot.

--
- Andrey

~ In theory, practice and theory are the same,
  but in practice they are different (Larry McVoy) ~