Quoting Dirk Heinrichs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Am Dienstag, 10. Februar 2004 07:56 schrieb ext Kent Jantz:
>
> > I installed a barebones Gentoo with a 2.6 kernel and evms on 10GB of my
> > first hard drive. I then created the standard boot, swap, and root
> > partitions on my main(second) hard drive. After that I created my evms
> > volumes(/home, /usr, and /var partitions) on my main hard drive. I
> > finished intalling Gentoo which included listing my drives in fstab as
> > /dev/evms/hdx(for the root, boot, and swap partitions) and
> Why partitions for / and swap? Those can both be EVMS volumes. I allways
> create two primary partitions: the first of about 50M for /boot, the second
> on the rest of the hd. In this second partition I create EVMS volumes for
> everything else.

Yes, I realize I could have made my whole linux install be EVMS volumes, I even
tried to do that but I couldn't get it to work(had major problems with initrd
on bootup) and besides I have 100MB for my boot partition and 2.5GB for my root
partition, it's very unlikely I will run out of space with those 2 partitions.
My swap is 512MB(I have 768MB of Ram) so I'm not to worried about swap either.
On the other hand if you have a howto I can follow(I already tried the EVMS
Sourceforge site and a couple of postings on the forum) maybe I'll try again.

> > /dev/evms/xxxlv(for the /usr, /var, and /home partitions). I then try to
> > boot up, evms loads ok(right after '* Calculating module dependencies')
> > but later on in the process when it is '* Mounting local filesystems' it
> > complains that it can't find my evms volumes and of course the rest of
> > the bootup is a mess because there are no /usr, /var, and /home
> > partitions mounted. I saw that there was a new experimental 2.6 LiveCD
> > with basic evms support, would I have better luck with that?
> Do you call evms_activate when booting (did you "rc-update add evms boot")?
>
> AFAIK all x86 1.4 LiveCDs have EVMS support (EVMS1, though). This is
> completely sufficient for installation of an Everything-on-EVMS
> (except /boot) system. You can upgrate to EVMS2 later w/o problems.
>
> HTH...
>
>       Dirk
> --
> Dirk Heinrichs          | Tel:  +49 (0)151 1513 6954
> Configuration Manager   | Fax:  +49 (0)211 47068 111
> Cap Gemini Ernst & Young| Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Hambornerstraße 55      | Web:  http://www.cgey.com
> D-40472 Düsseldorf      | ICQ#: 110037733
> GPG Public Key C2E467BB | Keyserver: www.keyserver.net

Thanks,
Kent