Am Dienstag, 10. Februar 2004 23:15 schrieb ext Kent Jantz:
> On the other hand if you have a howto I can
> follow(I already tried the EVMS Sourceforge site and a couple of postings
> on the forum) maybe I'll try again.

What allways worked for me was the following:

1) Install the system with a 1.4 LiveCD. They have EVMS1 support as I
mentioned earlier. IMHO this is easier to setup, because with EVMS1 the
kernel does the volume detection and you don't have to worry about initrd.

2) Get the system running with EVMS1 and kernel 2.4.x

3) To migrate to 2.6 and EVMS2, get the kernel sources from kernel.org and
the latest EVMS2 release, and patch the kernel according to EVMS install
document. Compile (don't forget to configure initrd support) and install it
together with its modules. Keep the current running kernel as fallback.

4) emerge evms-2.2.2

5) emerge busybox: You'll have to
edit /usr/portage/sys-apps/busybox/files/Config.h-0.60.5-cd before to
compile busybox with the needed functionality. Here is what I currently
have compiled in:

Currently defined functions:
        [, ash, basename, busybox, cat, chgrp, chmod, chown, chroot, chvt,
        clear, cmp, cp, cpio, cut, date, dd, df, dirname, dmesg, du, echo,
        env, expr, false, fbset, fdflush, find, free, grep, gunzip, gzip,
        halt, head, hostname, ifconfig, init, kill, killall, klogd, linuxrc,
        ln, loadkmap, losetup, ls, md5sum, mkdir, mkfifo, mknod, mkswap,
        more, mount, mv, nc, nslookup, pidof, ping, pivot_root, poweroff,
        ps, pwd, readlink, reboot, reset, rm, rmdir, route, sed, sh, sleep,
        sort, swapoff, swapon, sync, syslogd, tail, tar, tee, telnet,
        test, tftp, touch, traceroute, true, umount, uname, uniq, uptime,
        vi, wc, wget, which, whoami, xargs, yes, zcat

You wont need everything, just look into the attached script to find out
which commands are really needed. The only important thing is that you
don't compile in the modutils replacements (insmod, modprobe), they should
be from module-init-tools below.

6) emerge module-init-tools

7) use the attached script to create your initrd (i.e. "mkinitrd.sh 2.6.1").
It is derived from the instructions found in early EVMS 2 releases. You'll
need loop support and e2fs in your running kernel.

8) copy the resulting initrd to your /boot and update the bootloader config.

9) reboot.

HTH...

        Dirk
--
Dirk Heinrichs          | Tel:  +49 (0)151 1513 6954
Configuration Manager   | Fax:  +49 (0)211 47068 111