On Wed, 11 Feb 2004, The awesome and feared Collins Richey commented thusly,

> The situation still exists on my other machine.  On latest 2.6.2 I get
> the same behavior, but now the card produces no sound.  alsa has great
> intent, but poor delivery for some cards, most especially since the card
> worked fine with OSS!

Just dont beleive what the kernel folks in 2.6 say that OSS is deprecated.
Some of alsas drivers are horrible when compared with OSS, my
recommendation is that if your driver works with OSS then stick with it.

One reason to use alsa is that if your driver doesnt allow multiple
simulaneous inputs ie you cant play xmms and another sound utility at the
same time, then it is worth using alsa. But then if alsas support for your
card is poor then there is no point in it.

Alsa setup is also a bit of a PITA.

Grendel

--
Hi, I'm a signature virus. plz set me as your signature and help me spread
:)