On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 08:22:43 +0600 (LKT)
Grendel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Feb 2004, The awesome and feared Collins Richey commented
> thusly,
>

> Yes, but I dont know if I am missing something here, but still this
> means that you need a lot of patience and a extremely high level of
> linux experience to install gentoo.

Got it in one.  Gentoo was not designed for the unexperienced, but a lot
of unexperienced users have made the grade.

> Also there are annying things like something simple as emerge emu10k1
> trying to download aumix and all its dependencies like xf86 :(

This is (merely) a matter of understanding the USE variables.  Always do
an 'emerge -pv packagename' to understand what USE variables are
recognized by the package.  An example: xfce will drag in all of kde and
gnome, if those USE variables are in effect!

> But all in all I like it, its just the installation process that sux.
>
> Currently I got the 2.6 kernel installed, but genkernel asks me to
> pass the options "boot=/dev/ram0 real_boot=/dev/hda6", I tried but it
> dont work so I switched back to 2.4.20.
>
> Is there a way to get newer kernels ?

Don't have a clue.  genkernel has created more grief for more people
than any other gentoo feature.  I wouldn't touch it with a fork.

--
Collins - Denver Area -
Gentoo stable kernel 2.6.2-rc1