On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 12:25:46 +0200
raptor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> u mean over my existing distribution... i.e. owerwrite !?
> isnt there danger to break something ?!
>

> |On Thu, 2004-02-26 at 01:21, raptor wrote:
> |> hi,
> |>
> |> I want to reinstall my gentoo, the problem is that i want to
> reistall it as I work on my current gentoo w/o |> repartitioning...
> |>
> |> Can I install gentoo on a directory under root...i.e.
> |>

> |> chroot /mynewgentoo /bin/bash
> |>
> |> then install as usual...what I should set in GRUB..
> |> What about of the possibility when everything runs OK..
> |> to move the whole installation into '/'

I misread your initial post.  For best results, you should always keep a
spare partition or two for experimentation.  What you are proposing will
not work.  Even if you could get a new install done in a separate
directory, there is no way to boot this oddball setup.

Back to square one:

1. Why is it that you need to reinstall?  Why can't you just upgrade
what you have?

2. Harddrives are cheap.  Just buy another and do your install on
the second harddrive.  Thne you will have space to do decent backups,
for example.

HTH,

--
Collins Richey - Denver area