michael higgins wrote:

The problem with alsa in the kernel was, when attempting to emerge and update the world, it consistently failed at the newer alsa driver library release. This must be an unintended result, I think. Unless there is never a good reason to compile asla into the kernel, but I've not heard an argument from this list for or against yet...

What you probaly *really* mean ( ;-) ) is that if you are using a 2.6-series kernel, there is no good reason to emerge alsa-driver (the package version is not significantly greater than the kernel version, and it's a PITA).

However, everyone is not using a 2.6-series kernel, and to get the ALSA drivers for those who are not, you do need this package.

I was about to say that if you install a 2.6-series kernel, it "should" automatically add itself to /etc/portage/package.provides (is that right?)-- but even that wouldn't work, if you were booting both kinds of kernel.

So skip that; the most reasonable solution is to inform Portage yourself that the kernel provides this package, if you are sure that your circumatances actually allow it.

IMO, not so much an "unintended result" as a "necessary evil". At this point in time it is not really possible for every aspect of Linux to work transparently with every other part-- thus, root must pay attention and be a bit clever sometimes.

Holly