"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On Thursday 06 January 2005 04:54 pm, Harald Arnesen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>> "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>> > Depending on your needs, you'll want to choose XFS, ReiserFS, or JFS.
>> > Just stay away from ext3.
>>
>> Except if you want to save your files after a crash :-)
>
> I disagree.  Journaling in any of the alternatives is at least as good, or
> better than journaling in ext3.  I've recovered from multiple (read:
> dozens) of crashes with my ReiserFS partitions; I never even had to do a
> rebuild-tree, the filesystem simply replayed the journal at boot time.

Usually, yes. I used Reiser on one machine for a long time, and it
seemed quite stable. However, one time after a crash it wouldn't mount
my file system. Rebuild-tree didn't help. I had to restore from my
backups.

I then converted to ext3, and haven't lost a file since. And never on
any machine that runs ext3. I think the repair utility for ext2/3 is
ways ahead of the one for reiser.

Journalling isn't the point, though. I have used ext2 on several
machines since 1994 (still have a 486 with kernel 1.0.9), and have never
lost a file from a crash on those.
--
Hilsen Harald.