On Friday 07 January 2005 02:10, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
<snip>
> I did run a little benchmark earlier today without seeing
> this thread. I had been suffering from Reiser3 for quite
> some time and switched to Reiser4 yesterday. Reiser4 was
> really nice in that it made my disk really silent. It is
> possible that it was a bit slower though.

Although it is a good point, noise isn't a good metric.

If I switch off DMA, my discs run very quietly, but I'm sure they aren't
so fast :-)

WRT noise managing it's far better to exploit modern HDs capabilities,
namely AAM (acoustic management): see hdparm -M.
For example in my box I have two cron jobs; at 7:00 disks can wakeup and
begin singing loud, at 23:00 they are again put in a quiet state.

Ciao
 Francesco

--
Linux Version 2.6.10, Compiled #2 Mon Dec 27 06:35:03 CET 2004
One 1.53GHz AMD Athlon XP Processor, 1.5GB RAM, 3022.84 Bogomips Total